We all know that we need to eat salads and fresh fruit to stay healthy. But did you know that pairing certain foods together has been shown to make a difference as to how you absorb the nutrients in individual foods? Well, I’m here to help you delve a little further into your nutritional horizons!
Lately, there has been a lot of press on this issue and some believe that is because we are lagging a bit in nutrition. In the last post I shared with you, I discussed supplements that we all could benefit from. Now, I am going to show you some power foods that will help you fill in the gaps that you may have nutritionally, so that you may not have to take your multivitamin or green powder every day. In addition, absorbing the minerals from real food can be way more fun!
Here are important and well-loved food combinations sure to jumpstart your nutritional, or at the very least, your taste bud slump:
1. Citrus and spinach – next time you have a spinach or kale salad, add some strawberries or grapefruit. The iron and vitamin C work well together to help your body absorb more nutrients from your veggies!
2. Tomatoes and olive oil – beta-carotene needs to be eaten with fat in order for it to be absorbed efficiently by your body. So make sure to drizzle a bit of olive oil on your slow-roasted tomatoes!
3. Yogurt and bananas – prebiotics found in bananas pair well to feed the probiotics in yogurt. Add a little granola for a tasty parfait for breakfast or a snack!
4. Eggs and broccoli – broccoli is a powerhouse itself with lots of calcium, but adding eggs boosts the absorption, as eggs contain a large amount of Vitamin D. Try this cloudy day-busting combo with a little salsa and potatoes for a breakfast treat!
5. Cookies, or cereal, and milk – Yes, you heard correctly! Homemade oatmeal cookies or whole grain cereals have magnesium to help your body absorb the calcium in the milk, making a powerful and nostalgic combination. If you prefer soy milk, it works just as well!
I hope that you are able to incorporate some of these yummy combinations into your diet. Remember, too, that salads (with a bit of oil-based dressing) are a great nutritional powerhouse, as we tend to naturally combine different colors and vitamins with ease when we concoct our favorite bowls of greens! Have fun creating and stay healthy and happy!